Skip to content

Brain Fog

Are you experiencing brain fog?  It could it be from exposure to Mycotoxins generated by mold?

Published on August 30, 2022 by Dr. Myra Reed

Are you having difficulty concentrating, poor memory and confusion, slowed thinking, or light headedness?  Many people don’t realize that they are being exposed to invisible mycotoxins.  We are now finding out that certain mycotoxins have the ability to impact the brain, causing neurotoxicity.

What are Mycotoxins and where do they come from?

Mycotoxins are microscopic fungal poisons that can sneak into our bodies through the digestive and respiratory systems. They are literal poisons that have the potential to make us very sick.  They are created by microfungi such as mold and can cause mycotoxicosis.  The symptoms of mycotoxicosis differ depending on the type of mycotoxin you’re exposed to, how long you’re exposed to it, the amount of the exposure, and your personal attributes such as age, gender, genetics, and health.

Mycotoxins can come from grains that we eat as well as water damaged buildings.  Mold exposure is the most common cause of mycotoxicosis.  Many patients are unaware that their home or workplace could be the breeding ground to their symptoms. In fact, it’s estimated that indoor pollutants, including toxic mold, are at a concentration of 2 to 5 times higher than that of the pollutants found outdoors and contributes to more than 50% of patients’ illnesses!  It is also estimated that 85% of homes and workplaces have some degree of mold present.  Other symptoms of mold exposure include:

  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Red, Itchy, and watery eyes
  • Running nose
  • Rashes

Long-term effects of exposure can include:

  • Poor memory and confusion
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Tingling and numbness in your hands and feet
  • Appetite swings and weight gain
  • Increased thirst
  • Hair loss
  • Metallic taste in your mouth
  • Abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea
  • Muscle cramps
  • Joint pain
  • Anxiety
  • Lightheadedness
  • Difficulty concentrating

Is There a Treatment for Mold Exposure?

Once mold enters the body, it colonizes mostly in the sinuses, bladder, gut, lungs and vagina.  The most important short-term action is to remove yourself from the contaminated environment and any contaminated porous materials such as clothes, paper, and wood.  Mold exposure treatment can be very complex but is possible.  Dr. Myra Reed has been training with the world’s best mold experts and successfully treating people for mold exposure for years.  She can perform specific mycotoxin testing to determine if you have mold colonization in your body and determine a treatment plan.

Upcoming Mold Related Topics:

  • How do you properly test for mold?
  • How should you clean mold or remediate the affected environment?
  • How can you prevent mold growth in your home or workplace?